Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: obligatory whine

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Esparto's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2002
    Posts
    81
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, im on day 3 of a 9 consecutive day working week, im a little ON EDgE, INSAINLY tired, and need to whine about something.

    this might be a good point to stop reading this post.

    It occured to me the other day that most successful film makers started film making using a borrowed super 8 camera, then buying their own and making more films.

    HOW THE **** COULD THEY DO THIS!!! how can they possibly afford any film, even if its only super 8,m its still INSAINLY expensive!!! 13 -ing quid for 3 -ing minuets!!! then development on top of that!!!

    Working 20 hours a week after school i could never afford this!!! were all of these film makers rich aristocratis??? and yet most of them encourage young film makers to use super 8.

    should this be tolleratred??? you can buy a cam corder for the cost of 30min of film after development!!! why arnt they all encouraging this???

    Fortunatly, there are a select few, a few that love film making so much that they refuse to back down when they find it too expensive.

    ladies and gentlemen, charge your glasses,
    to gurilla film making.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Esparto's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2002
    Posts
    81
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Stephen Spielburg's got the right idea with his lego studio sets, endevouring to make film making, in one form or another, available to young film makers.

    Top bloke!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's how I afford my equipment, film, processing, etc.

    - I don't go out on weekends
    - I don't go out at all
    - I work and come home
    - I don't own a car - no payments
    - I don't waste my money on DVD's
    - I don't even own a DVD player
    - I don't waste money on video games
    - I don't travel on vacation
    - I don't smoke, drink, do drugs
    - I rarely see films at a theater
    - I rarely rent movies
    - I was studying martial arts, but quit - too expensive

    You have to discipline yourself. Commit.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    Esparto I am in total agreement with your rant about the price of Super 8 Film in the Uk. Kodachrome 40 is the cheapest stock available and it has free processing, I noticed you said you are in school so you can probably get a student discount. From Jessops Kodachrome 40 with discount is ?10.79, still a total rip off for 3 and a half minutes i know.

    Whats worse is that Kodak dont offer inclusive processing for their other colour and black and white stocks. But its all down to demand, not that many people buy the film and I think its always been pretty expensive, super 8 is now a field becoming dominated by the professional so the original purpose of super8, as a home movie format is becoming neglected, thats my opinion anway. [img]eek.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It would be nice if Kodak dropped the price, offered discount, etc. Money is the ever-present and ominpresent pain in the a-s-s. And it doesn't go away, no matter who you are.

    For example. On his latest film, GANGS OF NEW YORK, Martin Scorsese was meeting resistance from producer Weinstein, who didn't want to shell out a couple extra thou so Scorsese could build a church as part of the film. Eventually, Weinstein was convinced by Tom Cruise who heard about it and flexed some muscle to help out his COLOR OF MONEY director.

    But there you have it. Martin Scorsese, one the most respected and most influential filmmakers today, having money trouble.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member beuford's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    81
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my two cents:

    it annoys me that someone in a financially enviable position like martin scorsese can say that a few thousand dollars is a money problem...

    michael mann & will smith agreed to pay for all of the Ali budget over the original $100,000,000, to make sure that it could be made, rather than simply give up and make a more financially viable movie... more people need to have that sort of passion for the movies they make.

    Beuford C Constantinople

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Yammeryammeryammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Their parents probably helped. I think the point of the whole Super8 Backyard epics made by today's great filmmakers is kinda inspiring. Today, video is the norm. No one uses an actual film camera to capture their kids running through sprinklers. They video tape it. Video is relatively cheap, and it isn't inconceivable for the average family to have one. We didn't, but I borrowed mine from a local college... 6 years running. Make do with anything you can that keeps you creative. No film? **** it. No money? Screw that. Do the two VCR editing method, if you need to edit at all. Revert to the most primative methods if needs be. If you have a comp that can edit. More power to ya. I just got my first one last week. I am rolling over with happiness! (It's a Mac Mr. Machead!)

  8. #8
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Beauford, I agree with what you said, for the most part.

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> it annoys me that someone in a financially enviable position like martin scorsese can say that a few thousand dollars is a money problem</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    First, he didn't say "money problem" - those were my words. And, being that GANGS is a project he's been working on for years and years and years, (true labor of love) I'm willing to bet he himself has a lot at stake financially. I don't know the specifics of the deal he has with Miramax. Perhaps he would have eventually financed the church himself. Maybe he was testing Harvey to see how far he would bend.

    As far as Michael Mann is concerned - well yes, he epitomizes cinema passion. And, if you read the university of texas - ron -robert (something like that)post elsewhere on this site, you'd read that Michael Mann has had the greatest influence on me. So I do completely agree with you about him and ALI.

    And if it annoys you about Scorsese, then you should be annoyed with Esparto for complaining. It's all relative. Scorsese is to us, as we are to starving children in third world countries. So, we should never ever complain - about ANYTHING.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Stall the ball lads. Great-war-eagle: there is a line between dedication and fanaticism. You sound like you have no life whatsoever and nothing is worth that. I got into film school without doing half of what you do. How can you make films if you have no expeiriences in life?

    There is nothing wrong with DV. If you want to use film really badly fo to film school. Its the only way you dont have to pay.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2001
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    But you still have to pay to go to film school. And that sucks. I'm not going to univeristy, I probably won't be able to afford film school - so that's pretty much screwed my chances of becoming any kind of director.

    [img]mad.gif[/img]
    Mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •